Recount is a text which retells events or experiences in the past. Its purpose is either to inform or to entertain the audience. There is no complication among the participants and that differentiates from narrative.
--> (Teks Recount adalah teks yang menceritakan kejadian/peristiwa (PENGALAMAN) seseorang di wkt lampau sebagai informasi/hiburan. (TO RETELL or TO INFORM PAST EVENTS)).
Generic Structure of Recount
1. Orientation: Introducing the participants, place and time
2. Events: Describing series of event that happened in the past
3. Reorientation: It is optional. Stating personal comment of the writer to the story
Language Feature of Recount
• Introducing personal participant; I, my group, etc
• Using chronological connection; then, first, etc
• Using linking verb; was, were, saw, heard, etc
• Using action verb; look, go, change, etc
• Using simple past tense
Orientation --> Sequence of events
Joko was very busy last week. He wrote some letters for his parents and friends on Monday. On Tuesday, he visited Ratu Praditya’s school. He played tennis for two hours there. Ratu is his friend.
In the evening he went to the sport shop. He bought a new tennis racket. Then he played tennis again the whole day on Wednesday.
He stayed home in the evening. He was very tired. Then he spoke to his parents on the phone.
On Thursday, he watched the football match on television. On the weekend, he visited his brother’s badminton club at Jalan Angsana 1.